(poll) What kind of meeting do you want?

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 21 19:53:11 UTC 2005

One recurring theme during Linux World Trade Show was "What does TLUG do
for me?"  This was a difficult question to answer.  There are things
that TLUG does, of course, such as
    - presentation by speaker
    - beer
    - Q&A during the meeting and on mailing list
But, definitely, not worth $20 membership.  People truly don't give
shit about the laundry list of expenses.  "Your expense is your
business.  What do I get for $20?" is people's bottom line.

Social component of TLUG meetings works only for core people, and even
this works only up to certain size.  This is why TLUG has not grown,
considering Toronto's population and increasing Linux awareness.  I got
the feeling that everyone at the show sensed that Linux explosion is
about to happen, and were trying to position themselves.

We also need to get our acts together.  With that in mind, I would like
some feedback as to what we can do to bring new people in to TLUG.

1.  I've been chewing the idea of tutorial-style meeting for some time.
    The collective experience and knowledge of TLUG members are pretty
    impressive.  There are some things that each person knows quite
    well.  And, it would be nice to see if we can arrange some kind of
    "tutorial" for the benefit of others.

    A narrowly focused subtopic would be better suited.  For example,
    Python is too big to chew in one sitting, but Python interface to
    PostgreSQL might be narrow enough for single tutorial, ie.
	- modules you use,
	- parameters available,
	- syntax, and sample usages

    So, do you prefer short tutorials on various topics?

2.  What do you think of collecting $1 from all attendees of the
    meeting, instead of $20 annual membership?  They do that in
    churches (I've heard), so I shouldn't be accused of being a Hun
    anti-christ or something.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
Slackware Linux -- because it works.