Appeal - was: Libranet 3.0 out

Jason Shein jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 21 20:37:56 UTC 2005

On April 21, 2005 06:28 pm, John Myshrall wrote:
> Franco Saliola wrote:
> >On 4/21/05, Matt Cahill <m-cahill-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >>  I was thinking something like 'Dead-boring distro one-upmanship',
> >>  but I'll leave it open.
> >
> >It isn't boring at all. In fact, it is quite interesting and
> >informative, especially since I am considering a new distro.
> >
> >Franco
> >--
>
> Distro wars are old.
>
> The bottom line is......... use what works best for you.
>
> Debian and Debian based distro's,  Gentoo and  Slack all have their place.

EXACTLY my point. I use a mix of Debian and Gentoo. Each has their place.

All I did personally was answer the question that was asked "Why Gentoo?"

I didn't say that gentoo was the only distro to have those features, just that
it did.

I use debian ( Kubuntu ) on my laptop. Love it.

I use Gentoo on my desktop - AthlonXP 2800 - as for perfomance increase....

Openoffice 1.1.4 ( compiled, not binary ) starts in 6 seconds, as an example.
I didnt install Gentoo on my desktop for the performance increase. I did it
for the package availability, and maintenance.

To each his/her own :)

--
Jason Shein
Director of Networking, Operations and Systems
jason-xgs8i/e9EeWTtA8H5PvdGCwD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
( 905 ) - 876 - 4158 Voice
( 905 ) - 876 - 5817 Mobile
http://www.detachednetworks.ca