Libranet 3.0 out

dan sinclair zero-zgL5Owk5LsjZLAS6AT9qEw at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 21 16:35:17 UTC 2005

Everyone always seems to harp on gentoo. I use gentoo, and no, I don't care about what config flags its using. The base is good enough for me.

So, why not Debian? Well, I started on RedHat, then tried Debian, but Debian was sufficiently _not_ redhat that I couldn't find anything. I tried LSF, but got bogged down with glib compile errors. I eventually ended on gentoo. It puts stuff where I expect them from a RedHat perspective, and emerge is simple to use. I've only had issues from portage after I'd sufficiently messed up my system that it didn't know what was actually installed.

The other issue is that debians stable is always behind, so if I want to use new er stuff I have to switch to unstable. I don't have to deal with that with gentoo. Portage usually has the lastest crap and I can just install it. No need to fiddle with the config (and yes, I realize you only have to do it once. But thats not the point).

So, although you may not like it, gentoo isn't just about getting the most optmized system, or the best set of compile flags.

dan