[TLUG] Choice paralysis (was Libranet 3.0 out)

Steve Brown steve-UptpDeB91zClXJ0OY9NZ9g at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 21 12:21:11 UTC 2005

I'm going to be installing tonight, first one that succeeds, stays. The
following order. (I've never been successful installing anything with a GUI
install):

Ubuntu
Arch
Slackware

I have a feeling Ubuntu will be the big desktop oriented Linux that finally
becomes a household name. Could this be the one to really give EvilOS a good
kick in the ass I wonder.

Arch seems to have a simular philosophy to Slack, and I'm reading that it's
been attracting lots of us old slackers for that reason. And, it's Canadian.

If the above fail, I'll just install slackware again; from install to weekly
maintenance I've found it to be simple and bulletproof. I can't yet imagine
switching away from slack on my main box.

Looks like Gentoo is definitely the way to go for a) those who really want
to learn Linux inside out and b) performance/optimization freaks ;). The
doc's at gentoo.org are the absolute best I've seen anywhere, often useful
for users of other distributions. They certainly deserve a tryout and a
donation, but unfortunately I found that the performance gained with
compilation optimization for my machine was more than negated by the fact
that it was forever compiling, like 7/24... (FreeBSD, not Gentoo or even
Linux... but it's also source-based). I'm one of those who can't find inner
peace unless I have the absolute latest stable version of every app I use,
maybe that's got something to do with it ;)

Steve

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 02:05:56AM -0400, Franco Saliola sat down at the 'puter and typed: