Computers For Schools (LinuxWorld)

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 21 04:41:45 UTC 2005

On 4/20/05, phil <phillip-l+pbsqP8NtUm29vl6s1fFg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> What really did bug me was my brief conversation at the "Computers For
> Schools - Ontario" booth.  With my interest in the use of Open Source
> software within the non-profit sector, I asked the woman what kind of
> acceptance they were seeing for Linux among their clients.  To which
> she replied, "Linux...that's a program, right?"  I guess I looked as
> stunned as I felt as I waved my hand around, indicating the other
> booths on the show floor.  She added, "Oh, we don't care about that.
> We're just here to get donations."

What's even worse... did you see who's logo was on the bottom of their
handout?  Our favourite monopoly.  Someone else at the show was
telling me that each of these recycled and refurbished school
computers ends up with a Windows license attached to it... part of the
Microsoft funding.  "Hey, we'll give you some money for this project,
just make sure that all those PCs ship with Windows."  No Linux.

Sad sad sad

pm

--
Paul Mora