the web as a database

Zbigniew Koziol zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 20 20:29:52 UTC 2005

Taavi Burns wrote:
> On 4/20/05, Zbigniew Koziol <zkoziol-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>>Wouldnt it be wonderful that after typing a complex SQL-like query to
>>Google I get a precise response with listing of all web pages on the
>>Internet that contain a relevant information that interests me?
>>
>>The problem is that Google-like search engines index the content of HTML
>>pages. And HTML was designed to hold information that is supposed to be
>>displayed in the browser. It was not designed to categorise that
>>information. The HTML meta-tags like keywords and description are merely
>>an attempt only to ad some categorization but a poor attempt. Thats why
>>good search engines do not treat their content very seriously.
>

> I believe what you're referring to is known as the "Semantic Web".
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/
>
> It's being worked on, but don't hold your breath.  It still does
> require people to
> do some work on their own to provide their data in RDF format.  But if everyone
> did...oh my.  :)  The web would be a very different place.

Thank you very much, Taavi, for the link.

I did not know that the thing exists.

Anyway, there are always ways around to introduce them. W3C is a sitting
duck. Waiting, talking with companies that may support them,
negotiating, and all this b*ls**t. This can be done without waiting,
rather by enforcing certain solutions by using them and making them popular.

Indeed, the web would become entirely different once these ideas were used.

zb.

--
Zbigniew Koziol, SoftQuake^(tm) Open Source Business Solutions
Web Development, Linux, Web Mail Fax Voice Servers, Networking