CRT display on Thinkpad?

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 20 12:14:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 07:04:05AM -0400, Francois Ouellette wrote:

>> Francois Ouellette wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Is there a way to activate the CRT output on a laptop? With Windoze
>there is
>> > function key to switch between LCD and external, how can we do it with
>> > Linux?
>>
>> I find that on my ThinkPad, I have to switch before Linux starts.  On
>> ThinkPads, you can switch with Fn & F7.
>> --
>
>Hi,
>
>The Fn F7 sequence only seems to work with Windoze on my R31...
>
>After I posted my message I found the i810switch program which seem to do
>the job.

Interesting.  I have an old 600X, and the switch for that seems to be
entirely hardware-based.  I just hit the Function+F7 key and it
switches between the three modes (one screen, other screen, both screens).
It's a shame that something that should be done in hardware is done in
software on the newer machines.
--

yours,

William