Dell Deals & Credit Cards

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 20 02:41:08 UTC 2005

On 4/19/05, psema4 <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Are there any Linux- or Open Source-branded cards out there, and if
> not, could they be used to fund LUG's or Open Source development
> projects?

Yes, I have one in my wallet.

The Linux Fund started an "affiliates" card back in about 1999.

They were giving out $1000 grants to open source projects back in about 2002.

I don't think there was all that much money in it.  There were grand
imaginations of millions of dollars per year to use to fund projects.
Reality was more on the order of tens of thousands, and it takes
enough effort to run a charitable foundation that needs to actively
spend the funds in order to continue to qualify for the plan that I
think they gave up on it.

The domain linuxfund.org is on hold; presumably the participants
stopped paying the bills.  That doesn't make them scoundrels; just
"busy people" that figured they couldn't afford the time on an
unworthwhile project.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)