now the eth1 don't work...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 18 14:03:06 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005 at 10:05:56PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> Lennart and everyone, thanks for the suggestion, threw in a video
> card, everything's good now.  Except:  I also added a new ethernet
> card -- am trying to turn this into a dns server, I talked about this
> in a post a while ago -- anyway, I the card isn't recognized by the
> kernel.  On boot I get this:
>
> Limiting direct PCI/PCI transfers.
> isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
> isapnp: Card 'Plug & Play Ethernet Card'  <-- my card
> isapnp: Card 'CS4236B'
> isapnp: 2 Plug & Play cards detected total

That has to be one of the WORST isa cards I have ever seen for
networking.  Usually the isapnp info at least tries to identify the
vendor/model so you have some clue what it is.  Some engineer sure was
an idoit the day that car was made by the looks of it, unless they
barried it further down the isapnp info.

Do yourself a favour, and plug in a pci card instead given there are two
pci slots in that machine.

isapnp just says it found hardware, just like lspci shows what pci
hardware you have.  It says nothing about drivers being loaded or even
if there is a driver for the hardware.

> but no modules are loaded and there's on further mention of this card
> or the eth1 interface.  In /etc/network/interfaces I have this line:
>
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>
> and when I try to bring it up with ifup eth1, ifup fails with this
> message:
>

> sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
> Bind socket to interface: No such device
> Failed to bring up eth1.
>
> I'm not sure what sit0 is, but it seems clear to me that eth1 is not
> found.  anyone know what's going on?  I don't know the make of this
> card, only that it worked fine in someone else's old redhat box before he
> gave it to me.  This new machine runs ubuntu hoary.

sit0 is IPv6 related tunneling protocol.  If you aren't ding IPv6 just
ignore it.

You have to find out what driver to load for your network card since
right now it isn't loaded.  When you find out the driver name, you can
add it to /etc/modules after the driver for the onboard ethernet (to
control the load order).

Lennart Sorensen