now the eth1 don't work...

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 18 02:05:56 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 08:45:16AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:37:43PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
>
> I imagine putting in a PCI video card should actually work.  Normally
> adding an add in video card would disable the onboard automatically on
> machiens of that era.  The onboard video is an ATI Rage Pro AGP, and it
> probably is setup to use PCI over AGP if given multiple video cards
> (most were at the time) so that you can replace the onboard with an add
> in if you wanted to).
>
> If you care, the GX1 is an intel 440BX, running usually a Pentium 2 or 3
> at some range of speeds around 450MHz and such (at least the one we have
> here is a P3 450).  It allows RAM up to 256MB per slot (double sided
> dimms _only_) or 128M (can be single sided) of PC100 or 133 ram.
> Onboard ethernet is 3c905 based.  This one is a 3c905B.

Lennart and everyone, thanks for the suggestion, threw in a video
card, everything's good now.  Except:  I also added a new ethernet
card -- am trying to turn this into a dns server, I talked about this
in a post a while ago -- anyway, I the card isn't recognized by the
kernel.  On boot I get this:

Limiting direct PCI/PCI transfers.
isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: Card 'Plug & Play Ethernet Card'  <-- my card
isapnp: Card 'CS4236B'
isapnp: 2 Plug & Play cards detected total

but no modules are loaded and there's on further mention of this card
or the eth1 interface.  In /etc/network/interfaces I have this line:

iface eth1 inet dhcp

and when I try to bring it up with ifup eth1, ifup fails with this
message:

sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
sit0: unknown hardware address type 776
Bind socket to interface: No such device
Failed to bring up eth1.

I'm not sure what sit0 is, but it seems clear to me that eth1 is not
found.  anyone know what's going on?  I don't know the make of this
card, only that it worked fine in someone else's old redhat box before he
gave it to me.  This new machine runs ubuntu hoary.

anyway, thanks as always.

matt

Matt Price	    matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094