High Speed Internet and Modems and stuff

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 16 04:09:20 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Hiscocks" <phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org>
To: <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
Cc: "Jim Koch" <jkoch-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 7:32 PM
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: High Speed Internet and Modems and stuff

> Actually, it was a USB DSL modem, Gnet BB0069, that wouldn't play with
> Linux. I should have said that. There didn't seem to be any linux drivers
> available for it.
>
> Once I figured out (with the help of advice from this group, thank-you,
> folks) that this wasn't going to work, I asked Pathcom to supply a
> replacement RJ-45 connected modem Gnet BB0060, for which they charged $80.
> No tradein of the USB modem, alas. I also added a Linksys router to the
> system.
>
> Pathcom had configured the BB0060 as a standalone modem (without a router)
> and it had to be reconfigured as a straight pass-through device. Once that
> was done the system worked fine with 3 to 4 machines connected to the
> router. I was particularly impressed that I could plug in my laptop with
> Suse
> 9.2, reboot, and be connected to the net. (Another suggestion from this
> group.)
>
> Anyway, I have this USB ADSL modem which someone is welcome to if they can
> use it.
>
> Peter
>

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 05:11:42PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 02:41:24PM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
>> > I am surprised that Peter wasn't able to get a USB (cable?) modem
>> > working. I made the switch to from dial-up to Rogers for high speed
>> > Internet access back in August of 2004. I ordered it as a self-install.
>> > Two guys from Rogers came. Once the wiring was in place the modem was
>> > connected to the line and tested. After that it was up to me to get it
>> > going with my computer.
>> >
>> > Unlike in the past, I was not given a NIC. The cable modem only came
>> > with a USB cable. I wanted to use a USB connection to the cable modem
>> > anyway since my NIC is used to connect to my laptop. My only concern
>> > was
>> > how hard it would be to configure Linux to use a cable modem as I
>> > remembered the difficulties many people on this list had trying to get
>> > their Linux boxes set up in the early days of cable based access to the
>> > net.
>> >
>> > Setting up the Windows side of the machine was no problem. Setting up
>> > the Linux side of my machine turned out to be a lot easier than I
>> > expected. My cable modem back then was a Motoroloa Terayon TJ615. I
>> > eventualy found that the key to getting it working under Linux was to
>> > select "CDC Ethernet" as the driver for the network interface. The
>> > other
>> > thing I discovered was that the cable modem interface should be started
>> > first so it can set the default gateway. If any other network
>> > interfaces
>> > start before the cable modem interface make sure they don't set a
>> > default gateway or you will have trouble accessing the net.
>> >
>> > My TJ615 developed some flakiness after a couple of months (it would
>> > drop the link to the net and require power cycling to get back on
> [...]

I'd write them a letter complaining. They should know that USB modems aren't
very functional with Linux  and ADSL (I'm sure you aren't the only one to
have had the same problem with them). Since they only require "An IBM PC or
clone... or a MAC computer running MacOS 8 or greater" to use your
connection, implying that there is not a clearly defined lack of support for
Linux, which you are paying for regardless, you shouldn't have to pay extra
for an RJ-45 capable modem (surely they can just take your onld one and sell
it to someone else).

Thoughts?