High Speed Internet and Modems and stuff

Peter Hiscocks phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 15 23:32:52 UTC 2005

Actually, it was a USB DSL modem, Gnet BB0069, that wouldn't play with
Linux. I should have said that. There didn't seem to be any linux drivers
available for it.

Once I figured out (with the help of advice from this group, thank-you,
folks) that this wasn't going to work, I asked Pathcom to supply a
replacement RJ-45 connected modem Gnet BB0060, for which they charged $80.
No tradein of the USB modem, alas. I also added a Linksys router to the
system.

Pathcom had configured the BB0060 as a standalone modem (without a router)
and it had to be reconfigured as a straight pass-through device. Once that
was done the system worked fine with 3 to 4 machines connected to the
router. I was particularly impressed that I could plug in my laptop with Suse
9.2, reboot, and be connected to the net. (Another suggestion from this
group.)

Anyway, I have this USB ADSL modem which someone is welcome to if they can
use it.

Peter

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 05:11:42PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 02:41:24PM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> > I am surprised that Peter wasn't able to get a USB (cable?) modem
> > working. I made the switch to from dial-up to Rogers for high speed
> > Internet access back in August of 2004. I ordered it as a self-install.
> > Two guys from Rogers came. Once the wiring was in place the modem was
> > connected to the line and tested. After that it was up to me to get it
> > going with my computer.
> >
> > Unlike in the past, I was not given a NIC. The cable modem only came
> > with a USB cable. I wanted to use a USB connection to the cable modem
> > anyway since my NIC is used to connect to my laptop. My only concern was
> > how hard it would be to configure Linux to use a cable modem as I
> > remembered the difficulties many people on this list had trying to get
> > their Linux boxes set up in the early days of cable based access to the net.
> >
> > Setting up the Windows side of the machine was no problem. Setting up
> > the Linux side of my machine turned out to be a lot easier than I
> > expected. My cable modem back then was a Motoroloa Terayon TJ615. I
> > eventualy found that the key to getting it working under Linux was to
> > select "CDC Ethernet" as the driver for the network interface. The other
> > thing I discovered was that the cable modem interface should be started
> > first so it can set the default gateway. If any other network interfaces
> > start before the cable modem interface make sure they don't set a
> > default gateway or you will have trouble accessing the net.
> >
> > My TJ615 developed some flakiness after a couple of months (it would
> > drop the link to the net and require power cycling to get back on line).
> > Eventually, I had Rogers return to take another look at the modem (the
> > first person who looked at it didn't really do anything). The two guys
> > that showed up had a new modem in hand. Apparantly, when they hear of
> > reports of problems and a TJ615 is involved, they just swap the modem. I
> > now have a Motorola Surfboard 5100 cable modem still connected to my PC
> > via a USB link. It has been working and reliable ever since it was first
> > plugged in. I didn't even have to change the driver. It also worked just
> > fine using the CDC Ethernet driver. Top speeds I have seen during file
> > transfers have hit 355kB/s. Sure beats 56k dial-up!
>
> Well it is great to know that they all seem to agree to follow the USB
> CDC ethernet interface standard.  Makes life simpler at least without
> needing drivers.  If only usb adsl modems would do the same.
>
> As for transfer rates, I have hit just over 600KB/s on my motorola
> surfboard (I think 5100).
>
> Lennart Sorensen

Peter D. Hiscocks
Ryerson University,