High Speed Internet and Modems and stuff

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 14 19:00:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 01:22:58PM -0400, Joseph Kubik wrote:
> I appologize, I did not have time to continue the litany of problems.
>
> The fact that it took rogers 10 days to figure out what the problem
> was, I find disturbing.
> If the signal strength at the wall is low, either backtrace the cable
> or run a new one.
> If the signal is good at the wall, tell me to run a new line in my house.
> The final 10 day resolution was that the cable between my house and
> the pole was faulty.
>
> The next problem I encountered was that my neighbor "tapped" my line.
> That took me 36 hours to track down a repair.

I wonder how a DSL modem would have tolerated your neighbour tapping
your phone line (Answer: It won't since the line won't have filters on
it).  Of course you would notice if someone else was using your phone
line, which you don't with cable so it's not the same thing.

> The next problem took 48 hours to remedy, and was a faulty connection
> somewhere in the region of the pole.
>
> Not to mention the ~5+ times that the modem would just drop the link
> for a couple of hours, and then come back.
>
> All of this was between Nov-1 and APR-1 (5 months).
>
> 5*30 = 150 days, 13.5 days offline, so that is a documented 91% uptime.
> So, considerably more reliable than the CRM tool at work, but not
> nearly what I expect out of my ISP.

Well yes rogers can be a pain.  You seem to have been harder than most,
although hardly a unique situation either.

Lennart Sorensen