High Speed Internet and Modems and stuff

Craig Routledge webstuff-MKqfGmd6cJs0gtvRndBQZNBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 14 17:36:43 UTC 2005

On 04/13/2005 10:56:07 AM, Jason Shein wrote:
> For those of you who are on Sympatico, the speedstream modems have a
> firewall in them that will prevent remote administration, personal FTP
> server etc.
>
> But there is a workaround. :)
>
> This is for the Speedstream 5200, if you have a differnet model google
> it, the info is out there.

Ah, I just had to do this for a Sympatico user.  So here is my experience.

I found I could set things up a little easier if you don't need to
configure too many options.  Again, this is for a SpeedStream 5200 DSL
modem.

(Skip this paragraph if you've never connected via Windows.)  I recently
switched my brother's machine from Windows98 over to Fedora Core 3.  The
SpeedStream that Bell sent him was already configured from the windows
installation and automatically connected without intervention from the PC.
So, when FC3 first booted, it automatically detected the ethernet card and
fetched the necessary information.  It was on the Internet out of the box.
If you have such a setup you might wish to turn off the modem on first boot
until you have a chance to review your security, although FC3 is pretty
good by default.

If you need to setup the DSL modem, point your web browser at 192.168.0.1
and you'll get a customized Sympatico interface for the SpeedStream.  This
is stripped down, but is enough to enter your userid and password and get
connected.

If you want to allow incoming connections for services, you can customize
using Jason Shein's method.  Or you can disable the router/firewall
functionality of the SpeedStream 5200 and let your Linux box handle that.
Since I already understand iptables, I went this route.  There is a mode
setting that controls this, although I forget the name at the moment.  It's
easy to find since Bell doesn't provide many options.  Once you've done
that, you need to get your PC to do the connecting to the network.  Check
your firewall settings in iptables.  Then (on Fedora anyways) run in a
terminal as root "adsl-setup" and answer the questions.
All done.