OT: Anonymous proxys (for film)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 14 14:42:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:25:09AM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   I know this sounds dubious and it is off topic but I was hoping
> someone here might confirm something for me. A client of mine is in the
> film industry and just gave me a call about a made-for-tv movie he is
> working on about addiction, including internet/porn addiction.
>
>   He has a scene where he wants to show a person at a public library
> bypassing their filters. The first thing I thought of would be an
> anonymous proxy but I've not done this before so I didn't want to tell
> him that for certain.
>
>   So my question is just what he asked me: How would someone bypass
> filters at a library? It can't be an uber-l33t thing, it should be a
> relatively accessible thing. This is a normal person supposedly.
>
>   Please reply off-list. I welcome flames if this is too off topic,
> too. :p Thanks!

Well there is always the good old www.anonymizer.com and clones of such
services.  The proxy there would have to explicitly disallow access to
all those anonymizer sites to block such use.

Of course google cache is a great way to get at elast the text content
of just about any site you could want as long as access to google is
permitted (I suppose a smart proxy could block all requests to google
that involve asking for a cached copy).

Writing a good filtering proxy is VERY hard.  So many things people can
do to get around them, and you have to continuously update them for new
sites that bypass things.

Len Sorensen