web proxy (I think)?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 14 02:47:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 03:46:34PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 03:33:21PM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> >
> > here's my thought:
> >
> > copy a big chunk of internet to my hd, alongside the ubuntu mirror.
> > Then install the hd as hdb on a computer that will be used as a router for
> > the network (note: is it hard to set up a router?).  Then use some
> > kind of system to redirect calls to internet sites to the files that
> > have been stored on this hd.
> >
> > is this called web proxying?  Or caching or redirecting or something?
> > anyway, that's what I want to do.  Also I would like to fool the local
> > machines into thinking that my ubuntu repository is in fact the one
> > that's pointed to in their apt-get ocnfiguration files.
>
> No not really, I think it's called copying the contents of a stie to a
> local web server and making it respond to the request for the original
> hostname.

gotcha

> You can use the virtual hosts in apache to serve each of the hostnames
> you are mirroring data from.  wget is handy for making copies of some
> sections of a web server.

I was thinking this too.

> > THe idea is to change almost nothing on the client machines, and do
> > all the work on the router.  So I guess I would need:
> >
> > *DNS -- any suggestions for something light?
>
> Use bind9.  It works.  Everyone knows how it works.  It is simple to
> use.

ok, I'll give it a shot.  the manual is a bit opaque though, IMHO.

> > *DHCP -- that should be easy I reckon.  Would be nice if folks could
> > talk to each other's machines using the locally-defined client
> > names.
>
> The names would be a problem for DNS.  DHCP should just point them at
> the right nameserver IP.

um, I htink I understand that.  will try to learn more about it.

> > *Webcrawling Proxy thaingamajig.  I've seen the name "Squid" tossed
> > around.  Is that the right tool for the job?
>
> I think the righ solution is apache with a copy of what you want to
> serve, and then updating the clients to use the new machine's ip as
> their package source either though faking the entry on the DNS to the
> local server's ip, or updating the clients to use the local name of the
> server.

I think I'll try to go with the former.  thanks, I'll report back when
I get somewhere.

Matt

Matt Price	    matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094