web proxy (I think)?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 13 19:33:21 UTC 2005

hi there,

here's my situation:

I have a classroom of 15 pc's networked together via a 24-port
ethernet hub (well, haven't done the networking yet, but it looks to
be easy).  No internet in the classroom.

I want to teach students how to use the internet with their brand new
machines; also I want to upgrade their systems from Ubuntu warty to
Ubuntu hoary, using a mirrored repository I've got on a spare IDE hard
drive, which still has lots of space on it.

here's my thought:

copy a big chunk of internet to my hd, alongside the ubuntu mirror.
Then install the hd as hdb on a computer that will be used as a router for
the network (note: is it hard to set up a router?).  Then use some
kind of system to redirect calls to internet sites to the files that
have been stored on this hd.

is this called web proxying?  Or caching or redirecting or something?
anyway, that's what I want to do.  Also I would like to fool the local
machines into thinking that my ubuntu repository is in fact the one
that's pointed to in their apt-get ocnfiguration files.

THe idea is to change almost nothing on the client machines, and do
all the work on the router.  So I guess I would need:

*DNS -- any suggestions for something light?
*DHCP -- that should be easy I reckon.  Would be nice if folks could
talk to each other's machines using the locally-defined client
names.
*Webcrawling Proxy thaingamajig.  I've seen the name "Squid" tossed
around.  Is that the right tool for the job?

so, any ideas or solutions?

thanks a bunch,

matt

Matt Price	    matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094