Offsite backups for the rest of us?

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 13 19:32:15 UTC 2005

Lennart mentioned istop.com in another thread.. and so I looked at
it.. and I wondered.

Well, the first thing I saw was "Headache surcharge for servers
running Windows - $10/mth extra".

Buuut..

It's perfectly reasonable to hire someone's box somewhere for just
this purpose.  In fact, looking at their rates it seems quite natural.
 5GBs a month sounds just fine for a good amount of backups.  The only
worry is backing up that initial chunk of data.  These guys seem cool
enough that you could probably arrange to ship a drive and ask them to
dump the contents into the box somewhere.

This is really just an extension of having a spare box at work which
you can push your offisite backups to.