High Speed Internet and Modems and stuff

Taavi Burns jaaaarel-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 13 17:31:10 UTC 2005

On 4/13/05, Henry Spencer <henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, William O'Higgins wrote:
> > ...A secondary machine for a firewall has many
> > advantages, flexibility being foremost, but a hardware router is solid
> > state (silent) and runs at 12v DC, so a lot less power than a whole
> > computer.
>
> Note that there are "whole computers" with the same properties, albeit
> not ones you'll find for $49.95 on College St. :-)

Indeed.  I have a netwinder which is doing server duty at my place.
I'm not using it as a firewall, but I sure could (it has dual
ethernte).  Of course, if Debian drops too much support for ARM, I
might be screwed...

On the note of crashing routerboxen, my SMC Barricade somethingorother
has been rock solid so long as I keep Windows away from the wireless.
As soon as I connect a WindowsXP machine via the wireless, the router
goes on the fritz and dies a horrible death.  Since I removed windows
from my work laptop over a year ago, it's been almost pleasant to work
with.  And yes, it's still a problem; my girlfriend was over the other
day with her Win(XP/2k?) work laptop, and it sure did kill the router.
 We got her a Linksys WRT54G the other day.  We haven't yet managed to
get that one to work with Windows either (though my PowerBook worked
so smoothly I wasn't sure what happened).

Note to the original poster: you can get a router without wireless,
too.  But if you see a WRT54G on sale for cheaper, you could get that;
it runs Linux!

--
taa
/*eof*/