High Speed Internet and Modems and stuff

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 13 15:24:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:53:18AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:46:10AM -0400, Jon Thiele wrote:
>> i would strongly recommend getting a router so that the pc is not natively
>> connected to the internet...
>
>I did this for my parents.  What a pain.  Someone please tell me what
>brand model router has the ability to run for 3+ months without crashing
>and requiring a power cycle every week, couple of days, every hour,
>depending on its mood.  So far I am very pissed off at the linksys
>befsr41

The router I've used for two years is a Netgear RP114 - 4-port switch,
firewall, content filter.  I've never needed to power cycle it in 3
years (except when I moved).

I would highly recommend iStop ($32.05/month - fixed IP, 300MB down,
800kB up, support and encourage Linux users), an ethernet modem and a
hardware firewall/router.  A secondary machine for a firewall has many
advantages, flexibility being foremost, but a hardware router is solid
state (silent) and runs at 12v DC, so a lot less power than a whole
computer.
--

yours,

William