Good meeting

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 13 12:47:47 UTC 2005

Hey thanks for the positive experience on my first meeting.  Yes, I
managed to get lost on the way and somehow I didn't actually note the
room number.. but I found you all.

Yes, using intuition lets me pause outside a random room until I hear
the word "linux".  =)

Btw, overall I got an impression of maturity because of how the
conversation would skew towards social, philosophical and business
concerns.

Some of my current topics of interest were also covered:

* The different levels of thought, philosophy and values between
peoples in a business.  It's also particularly interesting to confirm
from people in the know that it's not a matter of education which has
some people not concerned with some things, it's a matter of core
values.  e.g. some arguments don't mean anything, because the listener
does not value the topics being discussed.

* Configuration issues -- from a single workstation scalable up to
thousands of desktops / servers / toasters.  In particular it was
awesome to catch wind of the evolution of tools to handle such
abstract ideas.

* A brief mention of the configuration scalability also led to issues
of reinstallation, updating, pseudo-cloning, and in particular some
security issues.  "self-healing" is a nice concept, but it's nice to
learn that there are projects which also handle the security
capabilities of something like that -- i.e. don't just heal it, report
on what got healed so I can learn if someone was tiptoeing around.
Learning of this on a mass scale will be an interesting thing for
later.

Sy,