rsync & grub - clarification

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 13 12:54:12 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 07:15:12AM -0400, Alan Cohen wrote:
> Clarification:
> If I ever DO have to use the backup (because the "main" IDE goes bad),
> the IDE disk in the USB enclosure (/dev/sda while in the USB enclosure)
> will be removed and placed in the main box thus becoming /dev/hda !  So,
> what I need to do is to insure that it will be bootable as a regular IDE
> disk when that happens.

Well you could do this:
Create a /mnt/to/backuproot/boot/grub/device.map containing:
(hd0)	/dev/sda

Then run grub-install --root-directory /mnt/to/backuproot /dev/sda

I think that should work.

Other possible method:
chroot /mnt/to/backuproot
create /boot/grub/device.map with above entry
change /etc/mtab to have an entry for backup root partition mounted on /
ie: /dev/sda1 / ext3 rw 0 0
then run grub-install /dev/sda
exit chroot (using exit command)

That is fairly similar to how we prepare compact flash cards for use at
work.

Lennart Sorensen