Offsite-Use water

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 12 21:42:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 02:20:36AM +0500, Sy wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2005 1:26 AM, William O'Higgins <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > If I recall correctly, the original poster (hi Walter :-) was looking
> > for reliable off-site backup, and he lives on the fifth floor of a condo.
> > The fifth floor is a little low, but if he puts his 3-5Gb on CF or SD
> > cards and embeds them in something like a lawn dart he should be able to
> > get about a metre of penetration, no yard required.
>
> Totally going off topic, but I laughed thinking it so I'll risk it:
>
> You just made me think up some wacked out network-attached heat-sensor
> which would do a last-minute backup and then launch that lawn dart by
> some mechanical means.
>
> Of course it would all have to be on a UPS.
>
> And aiming that missile is left up to the end user.  ;)

Please don't - my brother is a fireman and I hate
to test whether his insurance covers injuries to
to computer bugs.

> Ok, properly back on topic now:
>
> I still maintain that a VPN between a couple of consenting adults
> would solve a lot of problems.  If, someday, someone's willing to
> participate with such a thing, I'm game.  As long as everything's
> encrypted en route, on-site and all that.  I'm going to (very) lightly
> consider such a thing between my home and some random work computer
> that I'll set up.
>
> The big problem there would be bandwidth.. I'm already running pretty
> thin on the stuff.. but after the one initial backup.. it should be
> pretty easy to maintain.  A backup solution that understood the moving
> and renaming of files would be especially nice to see.

If you each make your the initial backup copy onto a separate
local disk and then exchange disks, you can speed up that
first hit.

Subversion comes to mind when you talk about understanding
moving and renaming files (and directories).