Offsite backups for the rest of us?

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 12 18:10:03 UTC 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 12:27 PM, Michael Galea <michaelgalea-4VtgCsEi+FIybS5Ee8rs3A at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Sy wrote:
>
> Thats what I do.  I use a spare drive mounted in one of those removable
> IDE trays.  Every three weeks or so I power down, insert drive, power
> up, image, power down and remove the drive.  And what I get is a
> complete bootable image.  It goes back to work the next day.

I want to avoid using a bay, because powering down (twice) is
annoying.  Right now I'm thinking of an external usb bay.  I saw a
couple of nice ones here and there.. maybe I should drop by canada
computers on my way to the meeting, and pick something up.

The *real* solution, of course, would be to have another box
somewhere, and to have a gigabit network between the two systems, and
to throw backups into that box.. which can be powered off without
annoying the main box.

I just got a separate firewall going.. so I don't have a spare anymore
(there's no way in heck I'm using my firewall as a fileserver.. heh).
Maybe I should pick up a $2 486?  Hmm.. I do have a 486 laying around
which is begging to be built.  I do also have an i/o card.. I could
pick up some drive bays and go to town on it.

* No gigabit though.. but then that's what intelligent synchronization is for.
* The external usb bay is probably more travellable than the removable
drive bay though..