Offsite-Use water

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 12 18:04:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, Joseph Kubik wrote:

> The toilet is bad, the ceramic cracks in a fire most of the time.
> A REALLY hot fire is hard to protect against. However, most
> residential fires I've seen were only really hot in the small area
> where the fire started and the rest of the building was quickly
> extinguished.

Depends on what you mean by really hot :)

I've seen quite a few house fires[1].  Most of them were hot enough that I
found myself physically unable to get closer than 15m or so.  This is a
common occurance that people (including myself) describe as a "wall of
heat".  It is called a wall because it might as well be solid - it is
impassable.

Also, houses can be completely engulfed in as little as 5 minutes so the
building becomes the hot spot very fast.

> If you are truly paranoid, a stainless steel vacuum flask would work
> well, especially if it were in an open metal drum full of water (it
> needs to be able to evaporate to provide any real cooling).

To me there is simply no substitute for off site backups.  It completely
works around any concerns relating to damage to the building.

[1]  I used to be a police officer so got to visit lots of them, usually
while they were still burning.

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.