growisofs and long filenames

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 12 15:23:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:06:13AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> growisofs -dry-run -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /home/media/
>>
>> And the output is this:
>>
>> Executing 'mkisofs -R -J /home/media/ | builtin_dd of=/dev/dvd obs=32k
>> seek=0
>>
>> And then a couple of pages of this:
>>
>> Using DIGGI000.MP3;1 for
>> /home/media/folk/digging_a_hole_to_china__ian_north.mp3
>>
>> Which is, as I understand it, not supposed to happen.  Any suggestions?
>
>That is very much _supposed_ to happen.  It has to generate an 8.3 name
>for each file so that they can be stored on the CD for all systems to
>read.  Those that support Joliet extensions will read the long names
>through that, and those that support Rock Ridge extensions will convert
>the names to long filenames through that.  If a system doesn't support
>either extension system, it gets the generated short names.

Okay, so I'm an utter ninny (not news, but there's new people on the
list).  The filenames show up fine.  What doesn't are the MP3 tag files
- they seem to be, for about half of the tracks, not gone but borked
when read by XMMS.  I'm not going to freak out my housemates by playing
music on my home desktop via SSH, so I'll have to wait until I get home
to do some more looking.  Thanks for the help, as always.
--

yours,

William