Hello everyone

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 12 10:59:23 UTC 2005

Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 03:33:40PM -0400, Sy wrote
>
>>Hi guys.. I thought I'd write a story to say hello.
>>

>>In the beginning, I fell in love with DOS (mostly thanks to 4DOS).  I
>>BBSed on a 300 baud acoustically-coupled modem on a 286 when people
>>were debating over the speed differences of a 486 vs the new pentium
>>60s.  14.4 modems were out back then.  I didn't care.. I didn't even
>>understand the fashion of colour monitors.
>

>   Here's my story.  I started out in 1983 on an Apple ][+ clone, and
> BBS's and Compuserve.  I did OK in CP/M.  My first PC was a 10mhz AT
> clone.  I liked the DOS command line.  As Windows gradually replaced
> DOS, I found that I disliked email and usenet news in a GUI.  Back then,
> good video cards were expensive, and I *HATED* "black" text on a white
> background, because I could see the shimmer on the screen.  It was
> murder on my eyes.  I tried to do as much as possible in DOS boxes.

I started out with my first computer, an IMSAI 8080, with Scelbi
software, in 1976.  Then I started working with VAX/VMS on a Vax 11/780
(at work, I didn't have one at home <g>).  After that, I bought an XT
clone and downgraded to DOS.  After a few years of trying to get it to
do more than it was capable of, I bought a 386 and switched to OS/2,
which I used for many years (I even did 3rd level OS/2 support &
integration testing at IBM).  Then a few years ago, I started
expermenting with Linux and then switched to it about 3 years ago.