Offsite backups for the rest of us?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 12 01:40:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 01:05:51AM -0400, John Vetterli wrote
> Just wondering: would keeping CDs and DVDs in a fireproof strongbox
> keep your data safe and readable if there was a major fire?

  There are a couple of problems with that...

  1) A real fire would melt the contents of the strongbox.

  2) Assuming it survives, I don't expect the police/fire-dept to allow
     me to meander through the burned-out hulk of the building.  Did I
     mention that I'm on the 5th floor?

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.