Offsite backups for the rest of us?

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 11 22:53:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005, James Knott wrote:
> > rated fireproof only for a specific length of time, and (b) the ratings
> > are based on damage to paper, and backup media may be less heat-resistant.
>
> Do the fire safe companies list specs for other than paper?  They're
> often used for computer media.

My understanding -- caution, this isn't something I've investigated at
length -- is that there are standardized tests for paper, but not for
backup media.  Plus, of course, the numbers for backup media will
generally be rather worse:  not only is paper fairly tough stuff, but
it can char a little and still be usable for most purposes.  So there
are several reasons why companies might not list numbers other than
for paper...

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org