Offsite backups for the rest of us?

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 11 22:31:02 UTC 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 3:03 AM, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Sy wrote:
> > I'm not concerned about speed, only safety and functionality.
> > Subversion seems a bit overblown for this kind of need.  I will look
> > into some sort of rsync type thingemy.  Although I do kinda want to be
> > able to plug in a backup device, do some checking, and learn what
> > files have changed since my last revision.. it would be a valuable
> > intrusion detection system.
>
> Then, why not just copy to CD and leave them with someone?  You can
> always encrypt the data, if you're worried about security.

It's the stupidest thing, but I think the best solution is to cart
around a hard drive every so often and leave it at the office.  That's
a solution that was staring me in the face..  =)

Sometimes I wonder that I'm too used to doing things the hard way.  =/

I already did some minor looking into USB devices and all that.. but
nowadays a good distro will support hotplugging usb devices out of the
box, so I should be good.  I figure a usb enclosure will do what I
need.. then all I need is some intelligent updating/backup software.
Heck, I may break down and make that my first proper ruby project.