Offsite backups for the rest of us?

Sy sy1235-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 11 20:22:14 UTC 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 3:21 PM, William O'Higgins <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 02:24:05PM -0400, Sy wrote:
>
> I've been using subversion to keep laptop and desktop versioned and
> synchronous, and while it's far from flawless, it does work all right.
> That said, it's a good ten minutes to synch my ~/Mail tree (500Mb).

I'm not concerned about speed, only safety and functionality.
Subversion seems a bit overblown for this kind of need.  I will look
into some sort of rsync type thingemy.  Although I do kinda want to be
able to plug in a backup device, do some checking, and learn what
files have changed since my last revision.. it would be a valuable
intrusion detection system.

> >Oh.. and hi everyone.. I'm new.  =)
>
> Hi :-)  You type really well for a new person - when I was new I
> couldn't reliably find the keyboard, or even stop drooling.

=P

> If the police or CSIS want the data you
> will have some explaining to do if they show up with a production order
> or a warrant and you don't think they have the right to your
> computer/hard drive.  Plausible deniability may be worth designing into
> a system.

lockss looks really cool.  I'll note that project, thanks.  I don't
think it's a solution for me.. but it's worth looking into.  Actually,
I'd donate bandwidth and storage space.. if I had any.

Actually, that was something which turned me on to TrueCrypt.[1]  It
has a way of using slack space in an encrypted volume to stick another
encrypted volume.  I remember way back when, when I thought of the
notion of using slack space in cluster sizes to do something like
this. (no, I never did it.. I just daydreamed of the technology.. I
did learn to hide files in the whitespace of pictures though.. heh).

I hope that TrueCrypt does come out with a Linux version soon (it's on
their wishlist).. I was very pleased with the Windows app.

[1] http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/