Offsite backups for the rest of us?

Ilya Palagin tux-4CS0UopE6WdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 11 14:54:35 UTC 2005

Quoting David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>:

> Ilya Palagin wrote:
>

>> Free webmail with 1Gb (and more) storage space.  Your data is mostly
>> static, so
>> occupy available space and let google back it up for you :-)
>
> now 2gig+ !
> can someone suggest a script-based, gmail inclined, middle of the night,
> cron-ified backup strategy ?
> There should be some provision for file encryption, and perhaps a backup
> file rotation/deletion scheme. Is there a published API ?
>
> djp

Uploading files using web interface may not be reliable.  I would make
a script
which packs my stuff into 10Mb chunks (or whatever attachment limit is) and
sends it by smtp (of course, it must not be a huge single tar).
Subject would contain a chunk ID, so that when I need to restore
something, I would download
chunks ABD12343 and ABD12344 from my Inbox (index is to be stored in a
database
with an ASCII listing in the same inbox for backup).

It's also possible that this project has been done by someone already,
sourceforge.net may provide with details :-)