Offsite backups for the rest of us?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 11 04:13:36 UTC 2005

  I'm not a company, or a consultant, just a guy with a computer.
Approx 12:35 AM, very early Saturday morning, the fire alarm went off in
the condo building I live in.  It turned out to be a hypersensitive
smoke detecter that detected someone smoking (duhhh), so no damage
except for some lost sleep.

  I did grab my latest backup CD on the way out the door, but the
incident made me think.  I have my /etc and home directories backed up
on CD.  However, I also have a few gigs of personal stuff, e.g. scans of
photos of my late parents etc, that I'd be very unhappy about losing.  I
realized that if the place burned down, especially while I was at work,
I would lose everything, including the backups.

  So my question is, where can I find secure offsite storage for several
gigs of my stuff.  Also, while there's nothing illegal in my personal
files (I.e. no child porn or plans to blow up airplanes or whatever) it
is personal, and I'd prefer to keep it private.  Is GPG still secure, or
can an overclocked AMD crack it in a few days?  I assume that
CSIS/RCMP/CIA will be able to crack it (by torturing the passphrase out
of me if need be<g>).  I'm more concerned about the people like the
crowd on this list (sorry about that) being able to crack GPG.

  CDs and DVDs are too big for my safety deposit box.  Some low-end
hosting outfit where I can rent a machine would work, but it sounds like
overkill.  I'm looking at uploading a few gigs the first month, and then
approx 250 megs (volatile stuff) twice a month.  Anybody have any other
ideas?

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.