USB flash write protect

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 9 18:46:48 UTC 2005

On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Jason Shein wrote:

>>     dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
>>     fdisk /dev/sda      # partition it to your need
>>     mkdosfs /dev/sdaX
>>     mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/hd
>
> Thats what I tried in the first place.

Try again but fill the entire device this time. I'm not saying it will
work. What might work is to copy the boot block from an identical device
using dd as above. I don't know where the setting bits are.

> Really funny thing I found out though. Just for kicks, I thought I would try
> it on a WinXP machine. It says the filesystem is not formatted, so would I
> like to format it. I select yes, then I watch in amazement  as it starts to
> format the stick. 10%...30%....60%...100%...120%..145%...ERROR -> huh? I
> think I have to get a screenshot of this one.

What's so funny about the other camp paying no attention to
safe/defensive programming ? (what else is new)?

Peter