Java on Mandrake

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 9 18:05:21 UTC 2005

On April 9, 2005 12:51, Michael Yang wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have just installed the JRE 1.4 on Mandrake 10.1. The jave directory is
> /usr/java/j2re..., however when I point the path in Opera or other Browser,
> Java applet on the web can not be recognized. I have checked the mandrake
> site and it mentioned a script under /etc/profile.d, however I didn't find
> the scirpt after installation. 'Which java' reported nothing found (under
> 'su'). I appreciate someone point me to the right direction.

You have to put a link to the java plugin into your browser's plugin
directory.

For mozilla, link
'/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so'
'/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins'

You may have to adjust the first path for your jre version and compiler.

Also, add '/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/bin' to your $PATH by putting a line like
this in your ~.bashrc file:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/bin

> By the way, any recommendations for a realiable BT Torrent client under
> Linux?

'Azureus' is the most nice-looking and feature-rich client I have seen, but it
is written in Java (which you are having problems with, and has stopped
working for me too!)

Currently, I use the Linux 'Bittornado' client:
<http://bittornado.com/download.html>

It has all the necessairy features (including selecting individual files to
download), but is not as intuitive as Azureus. However, this is probably my
recommendation.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***