Donations [was Re:Linux World Canada Planning meeting]

Peter plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 9 09:13:20 UTC 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, David J Patrick wrote:

> James Knott wrote:
>

>> I didn't know they paid so much for electricity.  That 800W package is
>> more than my condo electricity bill for two months!
>
> well we ARE a high powered, dynamically charged group of individuals !
>
> ps. if we be payin for 800w we better use it !
> Maybe some disco lights ?
> A  1/2hp motor spinning something big ?
> a heater ?
> no, wait..  air conditioner ! yeah !

I think that they expect extravagant lighting, like several 1kW halogen
projectors lighting up a banner all the time plus the normal devices and
lights. Lighting will run up a bill quite quickly. Say you have 2
exposed booth sides and need to light the banner on each with 2x1kW
that's 4kW continuous for 2 days and 12 hours each (I am making
assumptions). This alone works out to nearly 100kWh which could be
almost the monthly consumption of a one-bedroom apartment. And 2x1kW may
not be enough, since one is aiming to make the banners as bright as if
they were illuminated by the sun. The goal is to make the object as
bright or comparably bright to any other object the potential visitor
can see while looking inside from the outside in daylight, so it can
compete favorably for his attention. Without this any clever banners and
graphics are a waste of time. This is why supermarkets etc are lit so
garishly. But be assured that someone makes money on that contract.

Peter