logwatch and kernel messages

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 8 02:59:08 UTC 2005

On April 7, 2005 09:55, William O'Higgins wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 01:28:51PM +0000, Jason Shein wrote:
> >I have found that most distros do strange things in fstab for USB devices.
>
> I can't blame a distro for this one - I set up this one myself.
>
> >This is what I use for my USB devices. Flash keys, digital cameras, SD,
> > CF, and it works well.
> >
> >/dev/sda1  /mnt/sda1  auto  noauto,user,rw,async,noatime,umask=0077  0  0
> >
> >Worth a look. Check it out.
>
> What I copied and pasted from a search, without understanding it, is
> this:
>
> /dev/sda1  /mnt/card  vfat  rw,user,noauto,sync,dirsync  0  0

That says:

Mount device "/dev/sda1" on top of the folder "/mnt/card", using a "vfat"
filesystem, make it read-write, don't mount it at boot, always sync files and
directories (don't cache; less damage if accidentally unplugged).

> I'm not really sure what much of this means.  I've read "man mount", and
> I've heard about umask, but I don't understand it.  It's one of those
> "yeah, but what does it mean to *me*" issues.  When I get a chance I'll
> blindly copy and paste your entry into fstab, tail -f /var/log/messages
> and see what happens, but is there a good, hand-holding for the
> terminally clueless guide to filesystems somewhere?  Thanks.

You could try the "Filesystems HOWTO" on the Linux Documentation Project, but
I think it talks about the individual filesystems and how to use them, rather
than /etc/fstab and mount in general:
<http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Filesystems-HOWTO.html>

Your best bet is probably 'man mount' and 'man fstab'

> P.S. Maybe such a guide could tell me why my USB key is always /dev/sda,
> but my SD card is always /dev/sda1?

I have found the same thing, and I think it depends on the data layout of the
card/drive. USB memory sticks look like one big partition (emulated as a scsi
tape or zip drive IIRC). CF, SD, and other cards have a partition table, and
look like a SCSI hard drive (thus they are assigned sda1, like the first
partition on your harddrive). This _may_ be related to the fact that USB
drives generate hotplug events, while SD/CF/etc. can't.

Note all the "I think" in my answer; if someone knows for sure, please correct
me.

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***