LVM questions

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 7 23:19:11 UTC 2005

  Another part of my "playing around on linux project" after I finish my
taxes.

  I've read the LVM HOWTO/FAQ.  I want to confirm that I understand it.
Assuming one large hard drive, I need 4 physical partitions...
  1) /boot
  2) /root
  3) swap
  4) the rest of the drive

  Only the 4th partition is actually under LVM.  I believe that ReiserFS
or ext3 or whatever runs on top of LVM.  Is there a speed hit with LVM?

  Is extent assignment random-access?  To illustrate it better, let's
assume I start with the following logical partitions...

  A) 10 gigs
  B) 20 gigs
  C) 10 gigs

...can I later delete A and add those 10 gigs to C, even though they're
physically separated by intervening logical B?

An infinite number of monkeys pounding away on keyboards will
eventually produce a report showing that Windows is more secure,
and has a lower TCO, than linux.