logwatch and kernel messages

William O'Higgins william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 7 13:55:56 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 01:28:51PM +0000, Jason Shein wrote:

>I have found that most distros do strange things in fstab for USB devices.

I can't blame a distro for this one - I set up this one myself.

>This is what I use for my USB devices. Flash keys, digital cameras, SD, CF,
>and it works well.
>
>/dev/sda1  /mnt/sda1  auto  noauto,user,rw,async,noatime,umask=0077  0  0
>
>Worth a look. Check it out.

What I copied and pasted from a search, without understanding it, is
this:

/dev/sda1  /mnt/card  vfat  rw,user,noauto,sync,dirsync  0  0

I'm not really sure what much of this means.  I've read "man mount", and
I've heard about umask, but I don't understand it.  It's one of those
"yeah, but what does it mean to *me*" issues.  When I get a chance I'll
blindly copy and paste your entry into fstab, tail -f /var/log/messages
and see what happens, but is there a good, hand-holding for the
terminally clueless guide to filesystems somewhere?  Thanks.

P.S. Maybe such a guide could tell me why my USB key is always /dev/sda,
but my SD card is always /dev/sda1?
--

yours,

William