Linux World Canada Planning meeting

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 7 12:50:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 09:26:05PM -0400, David J Patrick wrote:
> AFAIK, an average UPS will power a modest box for an hour TOPS, and that
> is without monitor !
> While it might me marginally feasible to use an array of car batteries,
> and an inverter, it's at least $100 worth of PITA.
> Tell ya what; I'll chip in $10. and if there are 9 other loose pocketed
> linux lubbers, we got us juice for the show !

The APC 800VA I have claims to run your average computer with a 19"
screen for around 45minutes.  Now a laptop on the other hand should run
a few hours on that at least.  If the UPS is a SmartUPS 3000 or
something, well you may get a few days out of that. :)  I feel sorry for
anyone that plans to drag that kind of UPS anywhere though.

Lennart Sorensen