Linux World Canada Planning meeting

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 6 18:33:16 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Brockway" <rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org>
To: <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Linux World Canada Planning meeting

http://www.linuxworldcanada.com/pdfs/floorplan_linuxworld-networkworld_v2.0.pdf
> > >     Consensus was that this was a ok position, and given what we paid
this
> > > was good stuff.
> >
> > They made the local LUG pay for a booth?
>
> Just a few more thoughts here.  Quite a few TLUG members including myself
> are doing _volunteer_ work at the show and they are making TLUG pay for a
> booth and want to make it pay for power?

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear, we paid $0.00 for the booth
itself (it was a freebee). What we get for free is a 10 foot by 10 foot
booth, we are on our own for everything else (power, internet access,
table(s), chair(s), etc...). Tables and chairs we can bring in on our own
without any trouble. Bill Thanis at the last meeting (joked, I think) noted
he though he could get a small gasoline powered generator and we could power
the booth off that, venting the exaust into the booths around us that didn't
help :-) . As stands the plan is to power the booth off laptop batteries and
UPS...

In defense of "Plum Commications" (the people who are running the show) they
note that for power, tables, chairs etc. at the event they are being charged
by the convention centre and I gather they are offering this stuff at cost
(well, the cost the convention centre charges, which is arguably obcene...).

> Have you pointed out to them how supportive TLUG is being?  I'm happy to
> point this out to them if you give me a name.

I don't think it would do much good appealing to Plum Communications. On the
other hand if you know of a firm that would be willing to sponsor the TFN to
the tune of $300 - $400 we could make some very interesting things happen
with that sort of cash :-) .

Colin McGregor