why is this being done with .NET technology?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 6 04:41:00 UTC 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 2:30 PM, Mike Newman <presidentofthefuture-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I had to take a C# class in college last semester, so I asked my
> teacher if I could use Mono. He was overjoyed to hear that I'd be
> doing the assignments in a Unix environment, and asked me to demo Mono
> for the class. Unfortunately my laptop crapped out on me shortly after
> that so the presentation never happened, but I found Mono to be a very
> suitable replacement.
> Frankly I'm excited about Mono's System.Windows.Forms implementation,
> which is to be implemented within the excellent Cairo framework.
> However, there's nothing stopping you from using GTK# on X11 or
> Windows.

Cairo looks like pretty neat stuff indeed.

I find it fairly stunning the success that has been had with Mono; the
fact that it works at all, let alone there being a fair number of
applications deployed is just surprising.

I can do an "apt-get muine monodevelop kurush f-spot blam
libapache-mod-mono" and have:
 a) A music player
 b) A Borland style IDE tool
 c) A somewhat simple finance application
 d) A photo manager
 e) An RSS aggregator app
 f) An ASP server

The one thing I find unfortunate is that enough bits of Mono and
ancilliary libs _haven't_ been Debian packaged to allow running Nat
Friedman's "Dashboard."  That would be the "killer app" potentially
warranting Mono success.

(Mind you, it's certainly NOT a new notion; it's derivative of the
1996 Remembrance Agent, and I'm rather certain that Friedman knew of
RA...)
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)