Thin Client and Sound

Paul DiRezze pdirezze-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 3 14:25:37 UTC 2005

Phil Kay wrote:

>I know this is getting off-topic, but I work for a small private
>University and we're looking at replacing our centralized database app.
>Most apps now that fill the areas we are examining run on MSSQL.  I
>haven't found any open-source equivalent that I would consider mature
>enough for our purposes.

Four database options are worth checking out:

MySQL - http://www.mysql.com/
PostgrSQL - http://www.postgresql.org/
Firebird - http://firebird.sourceforge.net/
Ingres - http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=1013

In addition, version 2 of Open Office (in beta now) has it's own
database a la MS Access and it reads Access mdb files, though not perfectly.

paul