Thin Client and Sound

Phil Kay pkay-Wu5PbJhdqlKw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 1 00:02:48 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 17:22 -0500, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Phil Kay wrote:
>
> > I know this is getting off-topic, but I work for a small private
> > University and we're looking at replacing our centralized database app.
> > Most apps now that fill the areas we are examining run on MSSQL.  I
> > haven't found any open-source equivalent that I would consider mature
> > enough for our purposes.
>
> You don't consider MySQL or Postgres mature enough for your purposes?
>
> What are your concerns?
>
> Rob

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  Its not the db.  We use MySQL
for all of our web serving.  We replaced MSSQL and IIS about 5 years ago
with LAMP and haven't looked back since.

What I meant was that the applications that are currently under
development to fulfill our needs are almost all being developed for
MSSQL.  Our current system works great and has for years on OpenVMS and
a proprietary db, but the interface is not intuitive.  We have a hard
time keeping workers long enough to adequately train them.  So an
intuitive interface is a distinct need.  I have looked at several apps
that look promising that will do what we want (the main areas are
Financial, Registration, Financial Aid, and Recruitment), but they would
need a lot of development time to work for us.

There are lots of companies out there actively developing these types of
applications, but like I said, almost all built on MSSQL.  If anyone
knows of anything that might work, let me know.
--
Phil Kay <pkay-Wu5PbJhdqlKw5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org>