seeking WiFi router

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 28 15:30:43 UTC 2004

lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 04:42:59PM -0400, Taavi Burns wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:36:21 -0400, David J Patrick
> > <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > > I'm shopping for a WiFi (802.11b or g) router to use at home.
> > > Ideally it will feature 802.11g with ~4port ethernet. I have seen, on
> > > College St, Micro$soft and Netgear units, that seem to fit the bill.
> > > Anyone have any suggestions re: linux friendly hardware for a good price
> > > ?
> >
> > The LinkSys WRT54G gets rather good reviews, particularly from the linux
> > front.  (this may have something to do with the fact that the router runs linux
> > internally)
>
> My parents (non wireless) linksys crashes about once a week, so so far I
> am not impressed by them.  I wonder if they have unofficial firmware
> that makes them more stable.

I could be wrong but I think the wireless and non-wireless routers are
very different (hardware and software).

FWIW, I'm running a WRT54GS at home with the openwrt firmware.  I've been
running it for about a month now and have had zero crashes.  We installed a
similarly configred one at a customer's site a couple of weeks ago and it's
also been fine and we installed another one in our office a couple of days
ago.  Some wireless users have reported problems due to heat when boosting
the power output of the Linksys but, other than thtat, the general consensus
on the openwrt site (and others) seems to be that these areq quite good.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada