AMD Opteron based server to buy in GTA area.

John Sellens jsellens-Iv5KO+h6AVB+Y12zHexnB0EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 27 21:43:07 UTC 2004

| Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:38:12 -0400
| From: Sergey Kuznetsov <tlug-9a/WvBvX2Qpg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>
|
| Hollo everybody,
|
| My client wants to make his PBX with 4 or 8 PRI trunks,
| and I recommended to install Asterisk and to buy Digium TDM cards
| to handle that 4 or 8 PRI trunks.
| The client wants to use as minimum traffic and bandwidth as possible
| ( because they will have too many phone lines [ 92 to 184 lines ]),
| and want to buy only one server to handle all this stuff.

You've likely already told your client this, but that doesn't sound
like the most reliable (or likely cost effective) approach to me.
One box to handle 8 PRIs to G729?  Seems like you would need a
big big box to do that.  (I assume you've looked at some of the
sizing hints on voip-info.org? If not, let me know and I'll send
you some pointers.)

And of course, multiple smaller boxes mean that you don't necessarily
need same day repair, which lowers costs.  And when it's time for
a software upgrade, you don't have to stop *everything*.

I would think you'll get the best bang for buck and best reliabilty
by going with two boxes, each with a 4 port T1 card.

Cheers!

John
(who of course happens to be a happy Digium/Asterisk vendor)
jsellens-Iv5KO+h6AVB+Y12zHexnB0EOCMrvLtNR at public.gmane.org / jsellens-dzygobQwvTvQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org