AMD Opteron based server to buy in GTA area.

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 27 20:55:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 04:38:12PM -0400, Sergey Kuznetsov wrote:
> My client wants to make his PBX with 4 or 8 PRI trunks,
> and I recommended to install Asterisk and to buy Digium TDM cards
> to handle that 4 or 8 PRI trunks.
> The client wants to use as minimum traffic and bandwidth as possible
> ( because they will have too many phone lines [ 92 to 184 lines ]),
> and want to buy only one server to handle all this stuff.
>
> I recommended them to use G729 codec (to use VoIP to their
> other locations), and AMD Opteron based server,
> but I cannot find any company who is selling such servers
> in 2U or 4U form factor + extended warranty.

Hmm, I have no idea what level of cpu is required to run those codecs.

> I am looking who is building the AMD Opteron based servers
> ( 1U, 2U, 4U form factor size ). I called for quotes to IBM and Dell,
> IBM is quite expensive and not provides extended warranty for that
> specific model ( extended warranty means - same day to fix or replace
> in case if it broke ), and Dell stick only with Intel products.

Well you could look in Linux Journal and see if any of the many opteron
adds are from a company able to supply such support, or you buy two and
have one as a backup machine.  Nothing quite as good as being self
sufficient.

> Can you tell me if Intel Xeon + E64MT is equal to AMD Opteron,
> or Itanium 2 is equal to Opteron? Or may be you can recommend me
> something else?

Neither has the same level of performance as the Opteron.  Both also
cost more.

Lennart Sorensen