AMD Opteron based server to buy in GTA area.

Sergey Kuznetsov tlug-9a/WvBvX2Qpg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 27 20:38:12 UTC 2004

Hollo everybody,

My client wants to make his PBX with 4 or 8 PRI trunks,
and I recommended to install Asterisk and to buy Digium TDM cards
to handle that 4 or 8 PRI trunks.
The client wants to use as minimum traffic and bandwidth as possible
( because they will have too many phone lines [ 92 to 184 lines ]),
and want to buy only one server to handle all this stuff.

I recommended them to use G729 codec (to use VoIP to their
other locations), and AMD Opteron based server,
but I cannot find any company who is selling such servers
in 2U or 4U form factor + extended warranty.

I am looking who is building the AMD Opteron based servers
( 1U, 2U, 4U form factor size ). I called for quotes to IBM and Dell,
IBM is quite expensive and not provides extended warranty for that
specific model ( extended warranty means - same day to fix or replace
in case if it broke ), and Dell stick only with Intel products.

Can you tell me if Intel Xeon + E64MT is equal to AMD Opteron,
or Itanium 2 is equal to Opteron? Or may be you can recommend me
something else?

All the Best!
Sergey.