retrocomputing: driving 'miss' daisywheel

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 28 01:18:40 UTC 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Stewart C. Russell wrote:

> Thanks, all. I found the old termcap entries, and it's definitely not EBCDIC,
> as it just understood ASCII with CRLFs. A venerable polymath of my
> acquaintance (Ted Harding -- mathematician, linguist, troff guru) has offered
> some additional help, so I think I'm set.
>
> The two biggest problems:
>
> * my distro considers parallel to be a 'legacy device', which you have to
> build in support in the kernel.

Try 'modprobe lp' if it works you are set.

For missing characters, find out if your machine can backspace and if yes
write a script to generate the missing chars from other chars by
overprinting. F.ex. a left curly brace can be made from a minus and a left
round brace and an asterisk from -^H/^H\ (3 chars, 2 backspaces). At sign
is capital O and overprint with lowercase a. A passable Euro sign is made
from a capital C overprinted with =. You figure out the rest. Admittedly
it is ugly but it is better than missing signs that lead to confusion.

Peter