postscript purgatory & the callsheet - (long and twisty with links)

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 27 12:50:13 UTC 2004

David J Patrick wrote:

 > Has anyone got a handle on this ps stuff ?

In a past life, I was a prepress systems hack. Ah, the joys of finding
the error in 8GB of PostScript ...

> Q#1
> if a2ps is the heart of the psutils

is it? By psutils, I tend to mean the specific package by Angus Duggan
of Harlequin Systems.

> shouldn't my a2ps-site.cgf have
> something about the HP2100M laserjet, rather than "unknown printer" ?
> where would I get the right printer config file/ data ?

Not unless your HP2100M does something especially unusual for a
PostScript printer. Most Unix printing utilities treat postscript as
generic.

> Q#2
> if I want to print out in a boolet form, 2up, I think I should use the
> psutils but in what order ?
> a2ps filename.ps | psnup -2up | psbook -s4 | psmandup _ lpr ???
> or what ? I can't seem to find a working sequence.

Doesn't a2ps convert ASCII to PostScript? Unless you want to print the
source to your PostScript, you might not want to do this.

The way I'd do it (from memory, away from a system with psutils) would
be something like:

psbook -s4 filename.ps | psnup -2 | psselect -o | lp
(flip the paper stack and reload it)
psbook -s4 filename.ps | psnup -2 | psselect -e | lp

I can't remember if the e and o options to psselect are okay -- I want
to select odd, then even, pages. You might have to drop a '-r' in the
psselect line to reverse the order if your printer stacks pages in
reverse order.

> Q#3
> I am starting to /get/ the concept of virtual printers, and would love
> to just fire ant ps document at "printer.callsheet" or whatever. Is
> there an painless way to set that up ?

You could, but it's all dependent on the printing system you use. I'd
just stick with a script.

If you are printing HTML to PS, you might find htmldoc to be more
useful. It'll be quicker, at the very least. It may even do the n-up
stuff you need.

If this becomes more than a proof-of-concept, you really want a real
duplex printer. I've seen refurbed HPIIIsi's with duplexer for not very
much, and they are very tough machines. Don't touch the cheapo
(panasonic?) one you can get in Staples -- there are no linux drivers.

Sounds like an interesting project.

  Stewart